The itineraries in our tours are flexible, and do vary occasionally, sometimes due to weather or on-going events such as festivals which guests may want to see.
In addition if there is something else you’d like to do or see on your trip please mention this to your tour leader and we’ll try our best to ensure you can do it.
Age / Requirements / Fitness
The Crimson Leaf Tour is suitable for all ages but in general most guests on this tour are aged between 40 and 70, it’s ideal for couples and friends alike.
Our only hard and fast requirements are English speaking ability (all tours are conducted in English) and a zest for life! While Olympic levels of fitness are not necessary, on average we cover around 5 kilometres a day and there are at times steps involved at some stations and sites we visit.
Having said all that, walking is done at an easy pace, with plenty of stops for ice cream and to absorb the sights. In the unlikely event that an excursion is going to be too taxing or if you have another preference, you are welcome to break away from the group at any time, or take a taxi to skip some of the walking sections. No part of the itinerary is compulsory – we like to keep things as fun and flexible as possible!
As with all our Small Group Tours of Japan we use the extremely efficient, clean, safe and reliable public transportation network — it’s the most efficient way to get around, and by far it’s the best way to experience the country and its people. This is not a tour bus holiday with fixed tourist trap set lunches and carpet sales in the afternoon!
We forward your main baggage ahead from hotel to hotel where necessary during the tour (one case / bag per person). You can enjoy all the pleasures of travel without having to drag your case around with you.
If you bring too much luggage with you, or buy too many souvenirs during the tour; and require additional baggage transfers we can easily arrange this for you. The service is cheap and reliable.
The minimum number of passengers on the Crimson Leaf Tour is two — we believe it’s unfair to cancel tours when the numbers are not larger.
Unfortunately we are unable to accept single travellers on this tour due to the accommodation. If you are a single traveller and would like to join the tour, please let us know and we will try to arrange for you to share a room with another traveller of the same sex.
What is Included?
- All accommodation (11 nights)
- The support of your Tour Leader for the entirety of the tour
- All transportation from city to city including the shinkansen bullet train
- Meet & greet at the airport in Tokyo (either Narita or Haneda) on arrival and transfer to the tour hotel in the city up to one week before the starting date of the tour
- Tickets for airport transfer at the end of the tour (non-guided)
- Entrance fees to temples, shrines & museums when with your guide following the itinerary
- Most local transport (subways / city buses / cable cars / boats) is covered by the various travel passes we issue, but not all coming to an overall total of around an additional GB£10
- Sumida River Cruise
- First Class Tickets on Pirate Ship in Hakone
- Authentic Tea Ceremony at a tea house in Kyoto
- Baggage forwarding for one case per person
- Breakfast every morning
- Group meal on Day 1
- Dinners (Traditional Teishoku) on Days 4 and 5 at Hakone
- Tour Info-Pack
- 100% payment protection through the TTA (our membership number is U6165)
What's not included?
- Meals, except for the ones mentioned above
- Local transportation which is not covered by the various travel passes we issue for the tour. This comes to around GB£10 in total
- Entrance fees to any shows you may attend
- Travel Insurance. You must take out travel insurance before travelling to Japan, we suggest that this is done soon after a booking has been made.
- Flights to and from Japan!